I’ve been adding to my kitchen gadget arsenal the past few weeks.
Meet the newest members of our household…Address: Kitchen
I’ve officially broken in the dehydrator (um, hello, kale chips!), and we’ve played around with the juicer. I’d like to do a lot more with the juicer – perhaps even trying a little juice fast, but the timing is off right now – mostly because my fridge, freezer and kitchen are all filled to the brim with raw food goodies that need to be eaten sooner than later.
As I’ve been breaking in the dehydrator, I’ve been trying some new-t0-me foods and/or techniques for “cooking” familiar foods. Last weekend, my culinary adventures centered around buckwheat.
According to the Bob’s Red Mill website, “Buckwheat Groats are the hulled seeds of the buckwheat plant. These soft white seeds have a mild flavor, but when toasted or roasted, they have a delightfully intense flavor.”
After doing a lot of research – and watching a lot of YouTube videos, I decided the best way to handle my first experience with the buckwheat groat was to soak and sprout before use. I may have chosen poorly. But…this is what I came up with…
2 c sprouted buckwheat (you may need more if your groats are especially moist)
2/3 c blueberries
2T maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
1T whole flax seeds (not meal)
additional blueberries for garnish
Process buckwheat groats in a food processor or high-speed blender. (I used my Vitamix because I’m at odds with my food processor. More on that later.) Add blueberries, maple syrup, and salt. Process/blend to combine. Move mixture to a bowl and stir in flax seeds.
Scoop about 1/4 c mixture onto a paraflex sheet and flatten to about 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with remaining mixture. Make a hole in the middle of each bagel with your finger (or a spoon if you’re more polite than me – ha ha) to make your bagels look more bagel-like. My mixture made four large bagels.
Dehydrate at about 115F for 2-3 hours, or until you can easily lift bagels off the paraflex sheet. Flip bagels over onto mesh screen, top with whole blueberries if desired, and return to dehydrator until dry but pliable: 6-8 more hours.
My mixture was a little wet, so it took longer to dry. I think it took me 3 hours on the paraflex sheets and roughly 8 hours on the mesh screens.
I also made plain buckwheat seed bread (just buckwheat, soaked pumpkin seeds, and soaked sunflower seeds), but it didn’t turn out that great. It was dry and flavorless. Maybe I should have added some flavor. Ha ha 😉
Then, I dehydrated the leftover sprouted buckwheat groats for buckwheat crunchies (both Mimi Kirk and Annie Phyo have recipes for these), but, honestly, I didn’t dig the flavor of the buckwheat. When I posted this on FB in response to someone else’s experience with buckwheat, I received a bunch of suggestions – all of which started with, “Don’t sprout your buckwheat.” Now I know.
I haven’t tried just soaking the groats overnight before use, but it’s on my to-do list. Good thing I’ve been filling a giant bulk-bin bag of it every time I’m at a Whole Foods! I’ll be sure to share the results of next buckwheat experiment 🙂